Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary A: Narayan's Ramayana

(An image of Vali courtesy of Wikipedia)

I read a bit a head and waited to do my posts until I had finished the book. The third section, or first section of week 3, was what really interested me in the role of women in Indian epics. Sita, while duped by Ravana a few times, is very adamant about him going away. He is so obsessed by her though, it is a bit scary.

I've become so into this Rama-Ravana-Sita story that I found a bit relief reading when the story introduced new characters like Sugriva and Vali. Their history was quite interesting. In my head the first thing I thought of was: that must suck having your wife taken because of a mistake you made at the advising of others.

Poor Sugriva. Poor Vali. I always feel bad about sibling rivalries. This story did make me interested in writing about the battle as a new adventure for Rama.

All in all, I loved this section of the book because the new characters and adventure that Rama is taken on. The monkey people are fun to read about. I love how Sita keeps turning down Ravana. It makes me happy that she still has hope and isn't like, well, whatever I guess Rama won't find me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment