Friday, February 12, 2016

Week 4 Storytelling: The Unexpected Story


(A little girl on the phone shocked by the news she hears. Found on a blog.

Nina calls Sita.

“Sita, guess what?!” she says in distress.

“What?” Sita replies.

“We are getting a divorce!” cries Nina.

“It’s going to be okay,” Sita says reassuringly. “Did I ever tell you about why Rama and I divorced after he saved me from that demon, Ravana?”

“No, I just assumed you divorced because he fell in love with another woman,” said Nina.

“Oh no, honey. I left him. I left because he didn't trust me,” Sita sadly mumbles. “Shh, now let me tell the story or you will never get to hear it.”

Sita sighs and mentally tells herself that she won't tell Nina all of the details, but enough to help Nina through this tough situation before she starts the story.

“So, I told you about how one time Ravana kidnapped me while Rama was hunting a special deer. Well, Rama thought I had given in to Ravana’s desires and put me through a series of tests. To save you from feeling angry, all I will say is that I passed,” Sita sighs.

“Is that why you left him?” Nina questioned.

“No, will you let me tell the dang story?” Sita asks.

“Yes, sorry!” Nina says.

“Like I was saying, I passed these tests and Rama believed me. Well, for a while. Things were really good once we got back home to our kingdom. He became king and everyone loved him. They used to love me too, but then these rumors started. They were absolutely horrible. People were saying that I had cheated on Rama and I set the whole kidnapping situation up to spend time with my “lover” Ravana. I tried to tell Rama it wasn’t true, but he was having a hard time ignoring the whispers around the city.

Well, one day I went to meet with my family many miles away from our kingdom. On our journey there, Ravana popped up unexpected. Luckily, my guards had fought him off, but it made the rumors get worse. People had started calling me rude names in person and threw objects at me. I was so unhappy and Rama did nothing. He did not know what to do. He just tried to ignore it. He really did.

I was honest and open with him about everything. I told him nothing but the truth and did everything he asked to prove that I had no interest in Ravana. Apparently, that wasn't enough. The rumors got to him and he decided that the first round of tests were not enough proof. So, he created a new round of tests that were more intense, much more hurtful and insulting.

Once again, I will save the details for when I am more comfortable talking about them, but I passed these horrible tests too. Rama didn’t believe the results though. I was so gutted that the person I loved the most didn't trust me. So I left,” Sita said sadly.

“Oh my gosh, Sita. That is absolutely horrible. Why haven’t you told me?! I will always support you. I feel like my divorce isn’t nearly as horrifying as that. My husband and I are getting a divorce because we grew apart. I couldn't ever imagine what it was like for this to happen to you,” says Nina.

“It's okay, Nina. I am stronger now. I will always love Rama, but he hurt me too much and I couldn’t let it happen anymore. It wasn’t worth it. You will grow stronger too. Just focus on yourself right now. In fact, let’s do that tonight. I will buy you a margarita to cheer you up,” Sita says joyfully.

“Make it two and I’ll see you at seven p.m.,” Nina laughs.

“Deal. You can tell me all the details then,” Sita says.

They hang up the phone and Nina feels a bit better about this divorce. If Sita can do it, she thinks, so can I.


Author’s Note: This week for my reading, I watched Sita Sings the Blues. I loved the way that the film was conversational and easy going. In the movie, a couple, Nina and Dave, narrate their way through their relationship's problems, much like Sita and Rama. I wanted that to translate a bit into my story. I never usually write a lot of dialogue, but I tried for this story.

In the movie, there are two parallel love stories. One is about Nina and her husband and the other is about Rama and Sita. I decided to continue with those stories in this storytelling. I really wanted to focus on the female perspective in this story. I wanted it to be empowering that they will be ok despite their loves treating them like crap and or leaving them. In this story, Rama has not killed Ravana. Rama was really rude to Sita after the incident with Ravana and so I wanted Sita to reassure her that if she could make it out of a kind of abusive relationship, Nina would be ok too. I wanted them to be friends in the present day and have each other to lean on in this difficult time for Nina while Sita has ghosts to work through.

The picture I used is how I imagined Nina’s face when Sita was telling her story. It makes me laugh a little bit, because her face just says “oh my lord.”

Bibliography: 
Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley (2008)

13 comments:

  1. I also watched "Sita Sings the Blues" and I loved it! The narrators really said what I was thinking throughout "The Ramayana". I also, had a problem with the treatment of Sita and much like you did with your story I re-wrote it, to encourage empowerment and strength. I really enjoyed the fact that your story done that to. Also, the idea of making Nina and Sita rely on each other for strength during a difficult time was really different and very smart. Mainly because it is only really hinted in the movie that is what "The Ramayana" did for Nina. Wonderful job and not to worry your speaking parts were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way that you brought the characters into a more modern setting made the story easier to follow. Even the language was made to be more conversational and casual than what might be seen in the original narrative. I think that this allows for a more relatable story, especially for your plot to be entertaining to modern readers. The picture that you used was funny and it grabbed my attention at the same time. Not to mention that the treatment of Sita at the conclusion of the Ramayana is a topic that is discussed eagerly by the readers so I think that you came up with a good focus for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina,

    I think you did a great job with the narration and the use of dialog. One thing I will mention about the dialog at the beginning of the story is it seems like (to me) Sita is a mother to Nina. But that’s just something to think about. I really enjoyed how you put these two stories together, it worked out nicely! I liked the margarita reference at the end and thought it was a great way to wrap up the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, The image you picked for your story is darling! I love the idea of a woman calling her dear friend for advice and just to “talk.” So timeless. You did a good job incorporating “Sita Sings the Blues” into your story and I really enjoyed your portrayal of Nina and Sita. I have been meaning to watch this film but have been SO busy! Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina,

    I really enjoyed the story. I was the same way reading the Ramayama, I felt like it was pretty crappy to women all together. Seeing some strong female characters come out of it in these stories is great.

    I think the addition of the dialog really did well here. It came off as pretty conversational. There were a couple places that it felt jerky, but if you don't write dialog often that's to be expected. In fact commended that it was so well done with so little experience!

    I think I would have really like to have seen a few of the actions and non verbal cues of the two characters during the story. It would be easy enough to put in some slight hand gestures. Or of a hand slamming of the table. Or even a deep sigh or groan. Keep those types of things handy to keep it from being all dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina, this was a great story. I think you were able to achieve all the goals you had for this story as you mentioned in your author's note. Your dialogue flowed well between Sita and Nina, and I also felt that sense of female empowerment. I especially noticed this message through Sita's story as she explained her attitude towards her relationship with Rama. I love that you gave her this closure and independence. After reading the Ramayana and watching Sita Sings the Blues, I have felt displeased with Sita's fate so I enjoy any version of Sita's story that makes her empowered. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christina! I saw the link on your Portfolio page about Sita and Nina having a conversation and knew I just had to come read this one. :) I loved watching the film, and I think we're on the same page about wanting Sita to just leave Rama and all the mess he creates for her. The ending of "Sita Sings the Blues" was kind of confusing/sad to me, because Nina is paralleling her story with Sita's, and while Sita is a strong character, her devotion to Rama so unhealthy by the end when she doesn't seem able to completely break away for years.

    I liked the dialogue and conversational tone of your story. I often get confused about tenses when I try to write like this, and I noticed that you also ended up switching back and forth between past and present. I like the flow of the dialogue, but it's so tricky to write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Christina,

    First of all, I found the image of a little girl on the phone saying “hello” very adorable and cute. Now let’s move on to the story. I enjoyed reading your retell of “Sita Sings the Blue.” It was nice how you presented Nina’s character as a main character, whereas in the original “Sita Sings the Blue” Nina’s life was not descriptive, it was short and simple, but sad for sure. I liked your way of retelling the story as Sita and Nina were talking on the phone and sharing their sad love stories. You did a good job in putting your dialogs and story together. In addition to that, the author’s note was also very descriptive and detailed, which is great. I randomly chose your portfolio for the extra commenting on the portfolio. Thank you for sharing your story. I am looking forward to read more of your reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh cool! You make Nina and Sita talk to one another in your story! I would never have thought to do that. What a creative way to retell Sita's problems with Rama. You get bonus points for this story because I love when people point out the terrible way that Rama treated Sita. He is no hero in my book.

    I enjoyed the way that you wrote Nina and Sita's dialog. It seemed very natural and candid, the way you would expect such a conversation to occur in real life. I could hear Sita's frustration and disappointment in my head as I read along. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina,

    This is fabulous! Your blog layout and color scheme is very clean and simple and I really love it because it is easy on the eye and aesthetically pleasing.
    I think that you are an incredibly talented writer. I think that although your story is long, it is broken up with dialogue every well and it makes for a very easy and enjoyable read.

    I also thought it was great how you kind of implemented a role reversal by having Nina as the main character instead of Sita. It was a really creative way of adding to the story and making it your own. I also thought that you did a great job of making the characters seem current, for instance, when Sita says "oh honey please, I left him". That was funny and made the characters relatable.

    Great job! I look forward to reading more of your work throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christina!
    I absolutely love the movie Sita sings the blues. I like how you picked out the parallel love stories and ran with the idea. The female to female connection there is so strong and it the underlying pattern to the movie. I like how Sita shares her experiences with Nina to give her hope and comfort. Sita also has that sassy snap that I love about her. I love you style lady! Great story, well played.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there Christina,

    I also watched Sita Sings the Blues. I really liked how they had the modern story mixed in with the Epic. I really liked the way you connected Sita and Nina. Very clever. Good job connected the modern story with the epic. You did it in a very creative way. I swear this class keeps reminding me of the terrible ending of the Ramayana!

    I would suggest trying to make the font size a little bigger and darkening the font color. The size on top of the light color makes it really hard to read. It does help that you broke up your story well.

    I also love you picture. I totally agree with what you said about it being Nina’s reaction. Heck that was my reaction when I was reading the ending.

    Anyway, really creative story! I look forward to reading your portfolio in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christina, I know in your authors note you mentioned that you were not great at writing dialogue, but I could not disagree more! You did a great job narrating the dialogue between these two women who are struggling with the dissolution of their past relationships. I love how you set it modern day with them having a "girl talk" about it over the phone. I know I have done this with my girl friends many times. I never got to watch the film you are referring to so I'm glad I got the change to read your interpretation of the video and I love how you still incorporated the original story line of Sita and Rama with the characters from the film. Overall, you did a great job combing the modern with the past and the two set of characters from the readings and the film. I could definitely see this conversation happening in modern times. Well done!

    ReplyDelete