Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Indian Epics Topics Brainstorm


1. Possible topic: The god Vishnu Out of all of the Hindu/Indian gods, the one I am most interested in is Vishnu. While I know he is the central god to most Indians, I would like to learn a lot more about him. I have come more interested in him after reading The Ramayana. I think writing about the different lives of Vishnu could be really fun.

Research so far: I've mainly explored the Wikipedia page about Vishnu. The Wikipedia page has wide variety of information about Vishnu that could lead me down paths that are more specific. There are also numerous wonderful pictures that depict Vishnu on the page. After reading this, I thought exploring the relationships Vishnu has with other deities would be pretty fun, too.

2. Possible topic: Women After writing my storytelling post about Thataka's story, I became more interested in the roles of women in Indian Epics. The detail of the female body seems to play a huge part when it comes tShurpanakha, Sita, and Rama. I want to learn more about how women are portrayed in epics and see if that changes or shifts at all from story to story. 

Research so far: I googled and found this site that described the portrayal of women in the Hindu epics. I think it helped me understand the caste system a lot more. After researching, I think learning more about the caste system along with Hindu goddesses would be a good topic to explore in my storybook or portfolio this semester. 

3. Possible topic: "Demons" or Ravana After looking up what Ravana looked like, my interest in him grew. I wonder what other demons in Indian epics look like. I mean, Ravana has ten heads and that is pretty cool. I would like to learn more about their background stories as major or minor characters in epics.

Research so far: After looking at the rakshasas page, I am more interested in Shurpanakha. Her Wikipedia page tells a lot about her background and alternative accounts. It would be pretty cool to explore that. There seems to be a lot of genealogical lines throughout demonic beings based on who married whom. That would be something that I would have to research further.

4. Possible topic: Lands It seems that in readings so far, going to lands seems important, like the demons in Lanka or Rama in a forest. Finding the different lands in Indian epics could help me create different types of stories. It would be very interesting to make a passport style storybook where we explore the different lands in Indian epics and get passport "stamps" from them.

Research so far: I looked at the locations in Hindu mythology Wikipedia page to get an idea of where events took place in some of the epics. I think I would have to pick one or two locations per story to focus on. Another idea I thought of was that I could do more research and narrow it down to four really popular places that are relevant both today and when these epics were created. I will also have to do some research to see if I can make that happen. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment