Sunday, January 24, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary B: Narayan's Ramayana Continued

(This is how I pictured Ravana looked when Sita realized who he was found on Google/IcyTales.com)

I found it sweet that Sita wanted to accompany Rama during exile. I was both surprised and not at Rama's decision to stay in exile after his father's death. On one hand, we would not have the rest of this story to read. On the other, I feel like Rama would have avoided so much trouble if he just went back.

It is safe to say that I am not a big fan of Ravana or his sister. Despite this, the story has gotten a whole lot more interesting now that we're getting into the major drama of Sita being stolen by Ravana. It seems to be so classical, yet modern to focus on the physical beauty of the women in this epic. Shurpanakha was pretty hard for me to picture because I disliked her so much that in my mind she was a reflection of her true self (which was ugly). She was so obsessed with Sita and having Sita go to Ravana so she could have Rama.

Crazy enough, her plan eventually works out... sort of. I can't wait to see what happens once Rama gets to Ravana and tries to get Sita back.

I've only read half of the book and it is already a crazy web of deception and desire. I'm already addicted!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment