Friday, April 8, 2016

Week 11 Storytelling: Rukmini's Issue

(Rukmini and Krishna running off to get married.)

Where is he? I cannot believe he is not here yet. He promised me he would be here at 6 am. It’s 8!! I am so pissed.


Two days ago….


Hi! My name is Rukmini. I am the daughter of Bhishmaka, the king of Vidarbha. While I love my father, I am rather annoyed with him right now. Why? Because he made the worst decision of his life a few weeks ago.


My kingdom is in dire need of help financially. We used to be the economic powerhouse of the land, but a few bad decisions by the top businessmen ruined everything despite the warnings and eventual threats by my father. He was not too happy about it either. He loves his people and was livid that these few men ruined it for the people he loved so dearly. This happened about two years ago. Ever since then, my father has been trying to find a way to fix this problem.


Don’t worry. My father punished the businessmen. He forced them to walk the forests forever.


Anyway, about a month ago my father received a proposition. Shishupala, cousin of Krishna and prince of a very wealthy country, offered to pay for all of the debts of our land and bring us back to prosperity… only if I would agree to marry him. My father was delighted and agreed to his proposal. He could save his land, people and find a partner for me! Except there is a problem.


My father thinks I have not met a man who has taken my heart. He is wrong. In fact, I am in love. I am in love with Krishna. Not just a I-love-you kind of love… it’s the type of love where my heart stops beating and my breath catches when I think of him. Luckily, he feels exactly the same. It’s completely consuming and very terrifying. We have not told anyone that we plan to marry yet because we are waiting for the right time.


So, how do I tell my father that I can’t marry Shishupala because my heart belongs to Krishna? I don’t.


Krishna and I are to meet tonight to figure out how we will fix this. He has told me numerous times that he has a plan for how we fix this. He won’t tell me until we are face to face. We are meeting in our sacred spot. I am very nervous to hear what his plan is. If I have to get married to Shishupala, I am going to be so upset and I will never talk to my father ever again. I do not love him. Not even a little bit.


Back to present day…


It’s 8:30 am. The wedding to Shishupala is today. Krishna finally came to kidnap me and we planned to get eloped. He was late because he was getting gold. So much gold that my father could fix our land. In the room I was to be in until I walked down the aisle is enough gold that it will take twelve large carriages to take it to our main castle.

Now, all problems are solved.

Author's Note: This story is inspired by How Rukmini Became the Bride of Krishna by Edmund Charles Cox. I recommend everyone read the original story. The original story is about how Rukmini falls in love with Krishna but is supposed to be marrying Shishupala. The marriage is completely unwanted. Instead of Rukmini marrying Shishupala, Krishna's cousin, Krishna swoops in like a hero, kidnaps her and marries her. Rukmini is the main wife of Krishna. I was inspired by how this story is different because it's, in a way, a voluntary kidnapping. In my story, I skipped how Krishna and Rukmini met and focused on the fact they are in love and why he has to kidnap her. I didn't stray from the main factors of the story too much, but I did put my own twist on it. It can be take as modern or not. I wanted this to be a timeless story that sounds like a complicated fairytale with a really happy ending for all. The photo that I picked is how I pictured the kidnapping happened. It's more blissful than fearful. It depicts how they are both heading off to get married and be happy together forever and completes the story for you.

8 comments:

  1. Christina,

    I really enjoyed your story for this week! Like Rukmini, I would be so upset with my boyfriend if he said he was going to whisk me away from an unwanted marriage and was two hours late! You did a great job capturing Rukimi's frustration with the whole situation. I have not read the original story, however, based off of your recommendation I may read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Christina,
    I really enjoyed reading your retell story of week 11. It was nice how you changed the story a little. It was a great idea of how you went in past and then present of the story. The story was great and I would like to read it in future weeks. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to read some of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m really happy you chose this story to read and rewrite. I have noticed that in a lot of stories about characters like Khrishna and Rukmini there is a lot of death and despair. Also, kidnapping and forcing women to do things they don’t wish to are a big part of Indian stories (at least the ones I have read so far) so it was nice to read where it was actually voluntary. That the man was saving the women not for selfish reasons, but for her well-being. I did not see the slight changes you spoke about in the story, but that’s only because I haven’t read the original. Still, I enjoyed and it was a refreshingly different read I have done in this class. Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet love story! I pictured the bride on The Hangover at the beginning because I know she was pissed when they were running late to the wedding. I can’t imagine having to go through that on the day you’re getting married – especially when it’s not to the man your father expects! Love that she got her happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina, I was not familiar with the character Rukmini, so your story was an interesting read. I like that you wrote the story in both past and present. I enjoyed seeing the emotional roller coaster that Rukmini endured within those two days. Krishna and I would have had a deep and serious talk about his tardiness. Overall, this was a great story and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christina!
    I really like the tone you used to tell your story. I didn't remember much about Rukmini, but I feel like any reader could have a sense of her character from reading your depiction. You did a great job of sneaking in the context of the story without it feeling like a boring summary of a bunch of details. Also, I think the flashback/flashforward device was really fun and creative! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina,

    First off, congratulations on being nominated as one of the best portfolios! I just recently read this same story. I was very impressed that you captured the main elements of this story, but still managed to make it all your own. I like the idea of a flashback, but I think your story would be better suited as just a chronological style. The picture you chose was well suited for the purpose you wanted it to serve, but I think it would be better to have placed it towards the end so readers could have an image to associate the kidnapping with as it happens. The ending seemed to be kind of abrupt. I was wondering how Krishna gathered all the gold and also how pissed Shishupala must have been to have his betrothed, that he essentially paid for, stolen from him. I was just thinking that Shishupala would try to put up a fight. Maybe that’s a topic for another story. Anyways, I thought this was great, well-written story and it was a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina!

    What a great story! I enjoyed reading all about the events before the wedding as well as what happens in the end. You did a great job of creating suspense because as I kept getting closer to the end, I was worried you were going to leave it on a cliffhanger! I love that you didn’t have Rukmini end up marrying someone she didn’t love. Her knight in shining armor came and saved the day and saved her father’s land. I absolutely love the picture you used at the top of the story. It definitely gives off the feeling of a romantic get away/escape to live happily ever after with its vibrant colors. I would have loved to read more about how Shishupala felt about all this and if he tried to stop them or just accepted his fate. Overall, it was a great read with a happy ending for the couple, which is what I always hope for!

    ReplyDelete