Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary B: Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art Continued

(Shiva depicted as the destroyer)

There are three videos for this section, but I think I will only embed one in this post.

I was excited about these videos because it included Shiva. I watched the Shiva videos last semester and it was fun to watch them again and get a new perspective on it. One of the most interesting things that I picked up from these videos is how God is embodied in three human couples for Hindus. Those three couples are: Brahma and SaraswatiVishu and LakshmiShiva and Shakti. It's like a holy trinity for both genders. I found this SUPER interesting. 

My favorite quote was from Ardhanari's Secret:

"Brahma is the creator, Vishnu is the sutainer, and Shiva is the destroyer. Brahma, with four heads and a book, looks like a priest; Vishnu, with four arms holding a conch-shell, disc, mace, and lotus, looks like a king; Shiva, with his trident, looks like a mendicant. Lakshmi, Saraswati, and Shakti embody wealth, knowledge, and power."

I thought that was an amazing way to look at it. 

The Shiva videos are interesting because it has SO many stories and details about Shiva that I would have never known. 

Here is the video I wanted to include:

0 comments:

Post a Comment