Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 7: Reading Diary Extra Credit: Mahabharata Cont.


I AM FINALLY DONE WITH PART D!!!!! AND THE MAHABHARATA!! I just had to share my joy with everyone. As usual, I read the public domain and below are two of my favorite stories from part D.

The Pandavas and Bhishma: I thought that this was super noble of Bhishma to tell others how to rule after his death. I also found it interesting that he was able to choose when he died and chose now. When reading this, I felt like I was watching the end of the Titanic or something equally emotional. It seems like many were affected by his death and this provoked a lot of emotion. It was really sad.

The Afterlife: Like everyone is dead and then Yudhishthira has a final test to do?! Crazy. He is brought to the city of eternal bliss and is required to let go of all earthly connections. It sounds like something out of a fantasy movie. It reminds me a lot of myth and folklore where after a major battle a warrior will fall into "eternal bliss" if they leave behind the connections. I love how stuff like this is across cultures and isn't mutually exclusive to one.


0 comments:

Post a Comment