Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary C: Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art Continued



This week's "reading" is a continuation of the Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art Continued. I am on part C.

This week I decided to try something new and write the most interesting things that I learned in the videos.

First thing that comes to mind is the merged form of Shiva and Vishnu: Hari-Hara. It's kind of crazy because these forms, even though they are merged, represent complete opposites of each other. In my mind I pictured them as yin and yang or the power of good and evil. Total opposites, but completely dependent on each other. Very cool.

I will be honest in saying that I focused a bit more on Vishnu than I did on other characters in the videos. It blew my mind when I realized how many avatars Vishnu had. I understand that in Hindu culture many of the gods and goddesses have many different forms, but still. He also takes form as a fish, a turtle and so on. It reminded me a bit of Greek gods and goddesses. Why? Because they could also take forms if they wanted or change the forms of people.

Not to mention that Vishnu is also takes form in Rama, Krishna and many more. It was cool to learn how Balarama, which is the eighth form of Vishnu, is often equated with Buddha. I never knew that either. These videos teach you so much and I cannot wait to see more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment