Monday, February 29, 2016

Week 7: Reading Diary A: Mahabharata Cont.

(Bhima fighting Baka illustrated in the Mahabharata.)

It's been a while and I need to finish this book!!!!! As a reminder, I am reading from the Public Domain edition. So, I am on section B. Here are a few of the stories I found really interesting:

Bhima and Baka: It was kind of funny that Brim's preferred method is mace but will happily use tree trunks too based on the image. In the story, Bhima returns home, oddly after his mother wishes for him, to fight Baka who is terrorizing the kingdom. It was a really easy read and I loved how Bhima just appears when needed conveniently. If all things could work like that, wouldn't it be amazing?!

Arjuna and Ulupi and the other Arjuna based stories: This was an interesting story. It's a bit odd considering that it starts with one wife and five husbands. When I think of Indian epics, I always think of how there is a male figure that has many wives and concubines. It is really interesting to see that the roles can reverse, too. Since he is in exile and has a child with Ulupi, does this mean he will not have to return to his former wife? According to the other stories, it seems like he marries and has many lovers. So, I guess it is complicated? Then he seems to just do whatever he pleases, so his exile does not seem all too terrible. I mean, he does end up marrying Krishna's sister too. Sounds like a not too terrible exile to me.

I liked the stories of Arjuna. They were an interesting read and everything was pretty unexpected. I look forward to reading sections C and D.



0 comments:

Post a Comment