Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Week 5 Reading Diary A: Mahabharata

(A gif depicting Arjuna)

For the Mahabharata, I have decided to read the public domain edition. I thought that it would be a good way to switch up the way I read after reading a well-narrated edition of the Ramayana. While I did like this way of reading for the Mythology and Folklore class, I am not a fan of it with Indian Epics. Perhaps it is because I am really unfamiliar with the stories, but it takes me a few reads, a few listens and a few notes to understand what the hell is going on.

One of my favorite characters to read about was Drona. He is a Brahmin by birth and was childhood friends with King Drupada. My favorite story was the training of the princes story with Drona. He reminded me of those super important trainers of youngin's like the Jedi in Star Wars. It's probably why I enjoyed the story the most.

The tournament was fun to read about because after all of the training that the Pandavas and Kauravas have done, they finally get to show what they learned. It was crazy how one fight had turned very serious. I can only imagine how everyone was in awe when Arjuna. He seemed almost magical because of how strong we was when displaying his skills. He seems extremely talented. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment