Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary A: Sita Sings the Blues

(A still from Sita Sings the Blues)


After reading the Ramayana, I thought it would be fun to explore the same story but in a different medium. So, I chose to do Sita Sings the Blues.

Let me start out saying, this is not how I had pictured the movie being.

It has a really contemporary feel that I wasn't expecting. It made me feel like I was watching one of those trippy new cartoons on Cartoon Network, but after the initial shock, I was totally feeling it.

I absolutely love the humor coupled with the accurate storytelling of the Ramayana. The narrators had me laughing like crazy the entire time. The way that they bicker reminded me of popular storytelling videos on Buzzfeed. It was great.

Probably the part where I enjoyed the first part the most is when the narrators were arguing about wether or not the monkeys were monkeys or half-monkey or half-man. It was hilarious. This arguing seriously gets me every. single. time.

The parallel between Rama and Sita's relationship with Nina and Dave are very interesting. The modern twist makes the story even more relatable. I will explore my feelings about this parallel more in part b when you learn more about Nina and Dave's relationship.

I am so freakin' happy that I chose this video this week. My favorite assignment by far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment