Thursday, April 7, 2016

Week 11 Reading Diary B: Tales of Ancient India

(Indra wielding lightening in a battle.)

This is a continuation of the Tales of Ancient India by Edmund Charles Cox. Section B was more focused on the Gods. I was really excited to read this section because I feel like I have spent a lot of time on Krishna on the first section, which was cool, but I was so ready to move on to more characters in the reading.

I am going to save the reactions to Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Rama. I feel that I have talked about them more than enough already. So, for this diary entry I am going to talk about Soma. I am not sure if Soma is like the Ganges River. Is he in the form of a liquid or plant on earth? He is clearly used to benefit Indra. This is where I got a bit confused. He heals the sick and makes them strong. That's pretty cool.

Indra reminded me a bit of Zeus. He wields thunderbolts and used the chariots as clouds. This chapter about him is seriously similar to many introductory chapters or stories of Zeus. I know I keep making the comparison but it is so striking. I wonder if they originated around the same time. I guess some research will have to happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment